Best Time to Buy Airline Tickets
When is the best time to buy airline tickets?
Finding a decent airfare deal can be a challenge but if you know the best time to buy airline tickets, it’s a breeze. Here are some general rules to follow.
- Best time to buy: Tuesdays at about 3 p.m. eastern time. Reason: Many U.S. airlines begin airfare sales that appear on their websites late Monday or early Tuesday; the competition then matches these newly lowered prices and this is generally finished by Tuesday afternoon. That’s when shoppers have the most deals to choose from.
- Be sure to compare prices: Let’s say you see a good deal in an airline sale; don’t buy it yet! Always compare airfares, because no airline always has the best deal; not on every route, not every single day. If you don’t compare, you might pay too much or even way too much.
Are there other ways to save on airfare?
- Fly the cheapest days: For U.S. domestic travel, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Saturdays are usually the cheapest days to fly. The most expensive days: usually Fridays and Sundays. For international flights, mid-week travel is generally cheaper than weekends. Always compare fares for multiple itineraries to be sure. And easy way to find the cheapest itinerary is by using the Getaway Map.
- Compare nonstop flights with connecting flights: Adding a stop to your route, especially on longer flights, can sometimes save up to 50%. It’s always worth trying.
- Fly from bigger airports: Bigger usually means cheaper, and big hub-type airports can be cheapest of all. Compare prices from the nearest large airport with your hometown and see if the longer drive is worth it to you.
- Avoid peak season travel: If you can vacation in fall or winter, or travel in Spring (while avoiding Spring Break weeks), you can often find much better deals.
One last useful savings tip
The price of checking a bag can add expenses to your trip; on some airlines, a carry-on is still free. However, even if you have to pay for this smaller bag (and Frontier and Spirit charge for all bags), it’s still worth it because the bag that flies by your side is the bag that will not get lost.
The Cheapest Time of Year to Fly: The Dead Zones
Are you missing out on the cheapest time of year to fly? You could be if you don't know the dead...
U.S. Military – Discount Flights, Freebies and Travel Tips
START U.S. Military – Discount Flights, Freebies and Travel Tips If you serve (or served) in the U.S. Army,...
5 Ways to Cut Travel Costs by $50 to $400 and More
Maybe you think there’s nothing you can do to save on the cost of travel. After all, airlines set the…
Last-Minute Deals, Last-Minute Checklist for Christmas/Holiday/New Year's
If you plan to fly in the next couple of days or weeks but don't have a ticket yet, we…
Holiday 2018: Best Time to Book Cheap Flights
Attention Shoppers! Looking for cheap Christmas flights? If you plan to celebrate the December holidays with a trip, buy your airfare now because…
Black Friday, Cyber Monday Sales - How to Get the Best Deals
Ah, Black Friday, Cyber Monday! Crazy shoppers, angry crowds, packed parking lots. The madness we endure to score a giant-screen TV. But…