Top Destinations in Asia
Asia is a wonderful mix of bustling cities, ancient temples, and natural wonders. We searched through millions of flights and found the most popular destinations and a few tips for what to do while visiting. Top destinations in Asia can be more affordable than you think and whether you’re interested in shopping and nightlife, immersing yourself in culture, or admiring nature, there’s a top destination in Asia for you!
Yu Yuan Garden was built over 400 years ago.
Shanghai offers wonders like the Jade Buddha Temple, Qibao Ancient Town with its thousand-year-old history, and the 400-year old Yu Yuan Gardens with its famous jade sculptures. There are plenty of modern marvels, too, like the futuristic Oriental Pearl TV Tower and its magnificent views.
1. Putuoshan: A pretty beach town and meditation center is only about a day’s drive away.
The Great Wall of China, located about 2 hours away from Beijing.
At the heart of Beijing lies the Forbidden City, a gigantic palace compound that was the home of Ming and Qing Dynasty emperors; its Palace Museum is filled with gorgeous displays of Chinese art. Beijing also boasts well-preserved architectural jewels like the towering Pagoda of Tianning Temple, built from 1100 to 1120, and the Pagoda of Cishou Temple, built during the Ming dynasty in the 16th century.
1. The Great Wall of China is about 1.5 hours to 2.5 hours away depending on which site you visit.
2. Longqing Gorge with its dramatic peaks and rock faces is only an hour-and-a-half drive from central Beijing.
Minato Mirai 21, also known as the Harbour of the Future, in Tokyo.
Tokyo is one of the most popular destinations of 2019. It offers everything from ancient temples to glitzy modern nightlife. Experience a traditional sumo wrestling match, visit the ancient Senso-Ji Temple, and check out Minato Mirai 21 with its modern hotels, museums, boutiques, and cafes. It even has an amusement park!
1. Kamakura, referred to as ‘Little Kyoto’, features the Great Buddha in the Kotokuin Temple, the second largest bronze Buddha statue in Japan.
2. Hakone is home to Lake Ashi and has a great view of Mt. Fuji, making this a popular stop for both locals and tourists alike.
An iconic beach scene in Thailand.
Bangkok is another one of the most popular destinations of 2019. Visitors love the unique dining and shopping experiences including the Damnoen Saduak Floating Market with delicacies ranging from noodles to seafood and the Chatuchak Weekend Market with 8,000 stalls of Thai goods for sale, from beautiful clothing to handmade crafts and decorative objects.
1. Ancient Siam, or Muang Boran, features over one hundred replicas and reconstructed versions of Thailand’s most iconic structures. The grounds are even laid out in the shape of Thailand.
2. The island of Koh Larn has six beaches with calm blue waters and lots of watersport activities.
3. Hua Hin is a more peaceful beach than others in Thailand. The town has a vineyard, scenic temples, seaside spas, and restaurants.
Manila has a unique history and is a beautiful showcase of Spanish architecture.
The capital of the Philippines is a city of blended history thanks to its Spanish, American, and Chinese influences. Visit the walled area of Manila called Intramuros to see the beautiful San Agustin Church and historic Fort Santiago. Another attraction is Binondo, the oldest Chinatown in the world; tourists are welcomed by horse-drawn carriages that take them to Binondo’s popular dining and shopping spots.
1. Daranak Falls is located at the foot of the Tanay mountains and surrounded by lush vegetation. It makes for a relaxing escape from the city, especially during the hot summer months.
2. Laiya Beach, located on the coast of South Luzon, is a tranquil beach day getaway.
Tian Tan Buddha, located on Lantau Island near Po Lin Monastery.
Top attractions in Hong Kong include The Peak, accessible only by tram or hiking trails; Avenue of Stars, a promenade overlooking Victoria Bay; and the Temple Street Night Market where you can end your evening with a drink on a rooftop bar. For more spiritual experiences, see Man Mo Temple, the oldest in Hong Kong, and the huge bronze statue called the Tian Tan Buddha, located on Lantau Island near Po Lin Monastery.
1. Okinawa is just a quick flight away and offers pretty beaches and great food.
2. Complete your visit to Hong Kong with a day trip to Macau, once the oldest European settlement in the ‘Orient’.
Korean street food.
Seoul attracts millions of travelers each year but its modern subway system makes it easy to get to top attractions like royal palaces, theme parks, and exotic markets for shopping and dining. The most popular attraction in the South Korean capital is Gyeongbokgung Palace, built in 1395, which offers free tours in multiple languages. Seoul is also home to the largest indoor theme park on the planet called Lotte World, which features rides, parades, and laser light shows. For a one of a kind shopping experience, head to the fashionista’s paradise known as Dongdaemun Market.
1. The beautiful island of Jeju is off the coast of the Korean Peninsula and is known for its gorgeous beach resorts and hiking through the volcanic landscape.
2. Explore South Korea’s rich history and culture with a tour of Suwon Hwaseong Fortress and Korean Folk Village.
Ready to start planning?
It’s definitely not too early to start planning your next adventure. We’ve already grabbed the best deals for you.
Current Deals to Asia
Cheapest Days to Fly and Best Time to Buy Airline Tickets
We all want the cheapest flights possible and that's what this guide is all about
The Cheapest Time of Year to Fly: The Dead Zones
Are you missing out on the cheapest time of year to fly? You could be if you don't know the dead...
U.S. Military – Discount Flights, Freebies and Travel Tips
If you serve (or served) in the U.S. Army, Navy, Marine Corps, National Guard, Air Force or Coast Guard, we…
7 Good Christmas Markets in Europe
Ready for the holidays? You will be, once you visit a traditional Christmas market in Europe. You can find them…
Thanksgiving Procrastination Guide 2019
Thanksgiving Procrastinators: What You’ll Pay If You Delay A FareCompare employee once waited until the last minute to buy her…
2019 Most Memorable Holiday Destinations
Now that the holiday season is approaching, many are planning celebrations and the big question is, where to go? You…