According to Alaska Airlines, its acquisition of Virgin America is now “official” and the two combined airlines now become the 5th largest carrier in the U.S. What does this mean for you?
Alaska Airlines, Virgin America Merger: 6 FAQs
Some questions, some answers about the Alaska Airlines, Virgin America merger.
1. Has Virgin America disappeared?
- No. Or at least not yet (and maybe never). According to Alaska, when it comes to the two brands, “There will be no immediate changes to Virgin America, Alaska Airlines, or your experience.”
2. How do you book a flight on Virgin or Alaska?
- Starting Monday, Dec. 19, you can book flights for both at alaskaair.com (or on a fare comparison search site).
3. What about miles?
- Starting Dec. 19, travelers will earn Alaska miles on Virgin America flights. Beginning Jan. 9, members can start using miles for award travel on Virgin.
4. What about the Gogo Wifi monthly pass?
- It’s now good on Alaska or Virgin America.
5. Where can I find cheap flights on both Alaska and Virgin Atlantic?
- Always compare fares. No airline always has the best deal.
6. What if I have more questions about Alaska’s acquisition of Virgin America?
- Alaska has set up a helpful FAQ on its site