- Account Profile
- Language & Currencyen - $ USD
- Recent Searches
- My Trips
- Log In
Mexico Travel Guide
Mexico, located between the United States and Central America, is famous for its beautiful beaches and a diverse landscape of deserts, mountains, and even jungles. There are ancient ruins scattered throughout the country and Spanish colonial-era towns too. The capital of Mexico City hosts upscale shopping, world-famous museums, and various types of restaurants. Mexico is a beautiful country with something for everyone.
Mexico stretches across the southern border of the United States of America and is bordered by the Pacific Ocean to the west and the Gulf of Mexico to the east. With so much oceanfront, its no wonder that so many people enjoy Mexico as a beach destination. Mexico also has four mountain ranges, a volcanic belt, deserts, and lush jungles.
For those who enjoy city life, Mexico has a lot to offer. Mexico City, the capital city of Mexico, offers a variety of sights and activities. Main attractions in the city are the baroque Catedral Metropolitana de México of the Spanish conquistadors, Templo Mayor (a 13th-century Aztec temple), and the Palacio Nacional, which houses historic murals by Diego Rivera. The massive main square called Plaza de la Constitución, also known as Zócalo, is where all of these sites are located.
Cancun is another must-see city in Mexico. Known for its sandy beaches and variety of hotels, Zona Hotelera of Cancun revolves around nightclubs, shops, and restaurants. There are also a lot of day trips and sites to visit not far from Cancun. The ruins of Chichen Itza and Tulum are accessible by car or bus tour, tours are available for Rio Secreto underground river and crystal caves, and cenotes are an experience not to be missed.
Monterrey, one of the wealthiest cities in Mexico, is surrounded by mountains that contain trails and canyons through deserts and forests. Cascade Cola de Caballo, a beautiful waterfall in Santiago Nuevo Leon, is surrounded by impressive forests and intricate rock formations. Hydrophobia Canyon and Garcia Caves are also delightful natural wonders to experience.
Getting around Mexico
There are many options to get around in Mexico if you will be traveling from place to place and are planning to do a lot of sightseeing. Although there are airports and bus services in most areas of the country, you will need to make sure that these go where you want to go when you want to go.
For an easy way to travel around the country, you can always rent a car. Traveling in the city or for short distances is easy to do with a variety of options like bus and hired car but for longer trips, renting a car or joining a group tour may be the way to go.
What’s the weather like in Mexico?
The best time to visit Mexico depends on what you want to see and do. Mexico is a very large country and the weather can vary depending on the altitude. It has dry deserts, tropical forests, fertile valleys, and even snowy mountains. These regional variations will determine what needs to be packed.
Mexico has two main seasons, the dry season and the rainy season. October to May is usually the driest time to go to Mexico. The rainy season occurs from May until September or even October.
Mexico also has a hurricane season. Check the weather before going on vacation if your trip is scheduled anytime June to November.
When is the best time to visit Mexico?
Since Mexico is a large country, the weather varies by season and region. The optimum time to visit is generally between December and April when there is virtually no rain. The coolest months are between December and February, while the wet season begins in the south in May and lasts until October.
When is the best time to book a flight to Mexico?
You should research the cheapest months to travel to Mexico once you decide on your destination. If you want to avoid crowds, remember to research when school holidays, spring break, and other big events are happening. If you are flexible with your travel dates, try to travel during off-peak times as there will be fewer crowds and better deals.
Be prepared to book a flight at least 2-6 months in advance of traveling to Mexico. It helps to be flexible with your travel dates and even airport options. Remember to always look out for special promotions and deals when shopping for airfare.
Editor's Note: Please check the U.S. Department of State website (or the appropriate resource for your home country) for the travel status of your destination as well as travel advisories at the CDC prior to booking travel.
Cheap International Flights to Mexico - MX
- London, United Kingdom to Mexico City27-Mar to 10-Apr
- Atlanta to Cancun11-Apr to 26-Apr
- Chicago to Cancun1-May to 10-May
- Chicago to Mexico City30-May to 6-Jun
- Dallas to Cancun26-Apr to 3-May
- Los Angeles, California to Mexico City5-Apr to 19-Apr
- London, United Kingdom to Cancun26-Apr to 3-May
- Chicago to Guadalajara5-Apr to 11-Apr
- New York City to Cancun26-Apr to 3-May
- New York City to Mexico City8-May to 11-May
- Dallas to Mexico City26-Apr to 3-May
- Los Angeles, California to Cancun17-Apr to 21-Apr
- Chicago to Puerto Vallarta28-Jun to 12-Jul
- Dallas to San Jose Cabo5-May to 12-May
- Los Angeles, California to Guadalajara26-Apr to 3-May
- New York City to San Jose Cabo15-Mar to 29-Mar
- Paris, France to Cancun1-Jun to 6-Jun
- Paris, France to Mexico City15-May to 22-May
- Los Angeles, California to Puerto Vallarta10-Apr to 21-Apr
- Atlanta to Mexico City21-Apr to 22-Apr
- New York City to Puerto Vallarta26-Apr to 3-May
- Dallas to Puerto Vallarta5-Jun to 12-Jun
- Houston to Mexico City17-Mar to 24-Mar
- Chicago to San Jose Cabo13-Apr to 17-Apr
- Denver to Cancun30-Mar to 5-Apr
- Chicago to Morelia10-Apr to 17-Apr
- Chicago to Leon - Guanajuato11-Apr to 18-Apr
- Las Vegas, Nevada to Cancun28-Mar to 4-Apr
- Phoenix to Mexico City4-Apr to 18-Apr
- Dallas to Cozumel6-Jul to 20-Jul