You need to buy a gift. Jewelry? Generous! Tech gadgets? Great. Here’s another idea: Give the gift of travel. Always the right size, always fun and memories for a lifetime.
You can find gifts of cheap flights right now so let’s get started. Don’t miss the video at the end.
How to Buy Gifts of Travel
Your airfare purchase depends on when the gift recipient (maybe you, too) are free to get away.
If you know the travel dates: Shop an airfare search site so you can compare prices; it’s the only way to be sure of getting the best deal.
If the travel dates are unknown: A few options but don’t forget to talk it over with the recipient first.
- Buy cards: Give a gift card, available on most airline sites including American, Delta and Southwest (to name just a few).
- Use miles: Purchase a ticket with airline program points or miles or use miles for partial payment.
- Shop and book as usual: But first, check out some of the cheaper times to fly, so you get the biggest bang for the buck.
Where and When to Travel
First, where to go: Europe is very cheap right; we seen round-trip fares under $400 and the Deals Blog is loaded with specials for London, Paris, Rome and more. In the U.S., cheaper destinations usually include Boston, Dallas, and Denver and we’re also seeing good fares to southern Florida, Chicago, Seattle and more.
Next, find a deal zone: These zones are generally the cheapest times to travel in the U.S. (and much of the world).
- January/February: Perfect for a Christmas or New Year’s present since you’ll find good deals on flights taking off starting about Jan. 4 through mid-February.
- Late spring: Prices are a little higher than January, but if you avoid the Spring Break travel period (which typically ends in late March) you can often find good deals through late May/early June.
- Late August: Beginning around August 25, peak summer fare prices drop significantly; this is true for both U.S. and transatlantic travel.
- November/December: In the U.S., the first two weeks of November offer very good deals; in the U.S. and Europe, good deals are usually available during the first two weeks of December.
How to Shop for Gifts of Travel
If this is a Christmas gift and you know the where-and-when of the itinerary, you can shop through much of December. Otherwise, try this.
- Domestic flights: Shop between 3 months and 30 days before departure. Cheapest days to fly are usually Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday.
- International flights: Shop between 5 months and 45 days before departure. Cheapest days to fly are usually weekdays.
More ways to shop:
- Airfare alerts: Setting alerts is easy, and the deals come to you.
- Deals Blog: See the hottest fares from the latest sales.
- Social media: Follow deals on Facebook, Twitter.
- Inspiration: See amazing destinations on Instagram and Eventurist app.
Now get going. You’re about to make someone very happy.
VIDEO: The gift of travel.