Are these the worst seatmates ever? They have made some of my flights a royal pain but if you have worse stories, let’s hear them. Meanwhile, my finalists for the coveted award of Most Annoying Passenger.
- What this seatmate does: Talks on the phone, as loudly as possible, for as long as possible.
- Catchphrase: “Sorry, could you repeat that? The flight attendant is yelling about something.”
NAME: Ruthless Recliner
- What this seatmate does: Reclines the seat in front of you as far as possible. Bye-bye seatback TV screen.
- Catchphrase: “Why would they make a reclining seat if I’m not allowed to use it?”
NAME: Pop-Up Passenger
- What this seatmate does: Constantly moves from the window seat to the aisle, climbing over your legs or making you move, in a never-ending series of trips to the restroom.
- Catchphrase: “I need you to move again.”
NAME: Armrest Wrestler
- What this seatmate does: Hogs the armrests and won’t give an inch. Nudging doesn’t work. Polite requests don’t work. And flight attendants don’t really want to get involved. Most just let it go (or stake a claim when Wrestler gets up to use the restroom).
- Catchphrase: No catchphrase. Wrestler just sits there silently, hogging all the space.
NAME: Off-Duty Parents
- What this seatmate does: Provides zero supervision for bratty children allowing them to kick your seat or scream and yell with impunity.
- Catchphrase: “Hey, I’m on vacation.”
NAME: Seat Changer
- What this seatmate does: Asks if you’d mind changing your carefully pre-selected aisle or window for a middle seat elsewhere thereby allowing Seat Changer to sit by a loved one. I’ve moved for elderly passengers and a mother and child but beyond that, please don’t ask me.
- Catchphrase: “Do you mind?” Yes. Yes, we do.