Summer Airfare 101: When should you buy your plane tickets for summer vacation
You’ll have to work hard to cram in all the theme parks, rides, water fun and entertainment that’s available at the Walt Disney World Resort, but if you’re a fan of Mickey, it’ll be worth it.
- Sign up for FareCompare Airfare Alerts: Hear about the best deals in real-time
- Follow Favorite Airlines on Twitter and Facebook: Where you can find exclusive deals
- Comparison Shop: Get thousands of airfare possibilities in just seconds on FareCompare
Getting to Disney World – Orlando and Other Airports
The most direct way to Disney World is via the main Orlando airport, which generally has good airfares, but we list some alternatives for you to check out as well.
- Orlando International Airport (MCO): This modern facility is a winner mainly for its location – just six miles from the downtown area. It’s also served by more than 30 airlines which helps keeps airfares low.
Discount airlines serving Orlando include:
- AirTran (Orlando is its hub, with flights from the Eastern part of the U.S. and Midwest)
- Frontier (flights from Denver and Milwaukee)
- JetBlue (flights from the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic cities and the Caribbean)
- Southwest (Orlando’s largest carrier, it features flights from regions throughout the U.S.)
- Sun Country (flights from Minneapolis)
- Virgin America (flights from San Francisco and Los Angeles)
Orlando is also served by several large U.S. airlines, as well as numerous international carriers including Aer Lingus, British Airways and Lufthansa. Also, here is a list of other airports you may want to check out:
- Orlando Sanford International (SFB): This small facility is served by discount airline Allegiant Air.
- Daytona Beach International (DAB): This facility is 65 miles outside Orlando.
- Tampa International Airport (TPA): This large airport is located 85 miles from Orlando.
Disney World Vacation Packages and Deals
Many airlines offer flight/hotel and even rental car packages to Orlando from time to time. Some of our favorites include:
- AirTran’s Web Deals, Net Escapes and Vacations
- American’s AAVacations
- Southwest Vacation Packages
- United’s Hotel Deals
What to Do at Disney World
There’s the Magic Kingdom; Cinderella’s Castle; Epcot; Disney’s Hollywood Studios; the Animal Kingdom; Downtown Disney; Typhoon Lagoon; the World Speedway featuring the Richard Petty Driving Experience; five golf courses, spas and much, much more including a very large mouse named Mickey who will be happy to give you a hug..
And lines. Long lines. And lots of walking. The Walt Disney World Resort, after all, covers about 47 square miles, but don’t worry – you don’t have to hoof it all, thanks to the monorails. But pack a little patience along with a hat and some sunscreen and you’ll do just fine.
Looking for something a little different? Check out Universal’s Islands of Adventure theme park featuring the extremely popular “Wizarding World of Harry Potter” – it’s just down the road.
Learn more about FareCompare and the cheapest days to fly and best times to buy airline tickets for year-round savings.