Need a brilliant idea for an affordable ski holiday in Europe? We have plenty!
We also have advice on finding cheap flights to get you there. We’re sure you come up with better things to spend your hard-earned money on. First, a list of resorts then a list of travel tips.
Ski Europe: Top Destinations and Airports
Check out these popular European destinations for skiers and snow boarders alike (no particular order). Some are well known, others are long-time local favorites. Note: Smaller airports may be closer but bigger hubs usually mean cheaper airfare.
- Bansko – Bulgaria: Called the number one ski resort in the country, and a favorite of skiers and boarders alike with beautiful scenery. The season lasts through mid-May. Fly into Sofia Airport (SOF)
- Verbier – Switzerland: Part of the ‘Four Valleys” ski region, with a growing snowboarder presence. See views of the Matterhorn and people-watch the celebrities. Fly into Geneva International Airport (GVA)
- Davos – Switzerland: One of Europe’s most celebrated resorts, it’s linked to neighboring Klosters and especially popular with snow boarders. Fly into Zurich Airport (ZHR)
- Elm – Switzerland: Called a “peaceful” ski holiday region, Elm is surrounded with glorious views. Besides great skiing, the resort includes toboggan runs and winter hiking trails. Fly into Zurich Airport (ZHR)
- Morzine – France: Older established resort blessed with generally good weather. A firm favorites with local skiers, plus a growing snowboarder presence. Plenty of fun bars and restaurants. Fly into Geneva International Airport (GVA)
- Innsbruck – Austria: This two-time Winter Olympic host resort boasts more than 300 miles of trails with eight major ski resorts. It’s designed for skiers of all abilities. Fly into Innsbruck Airport (INN)
- Notre Dame de Bellecombe – France: A beautiful village in the heart of the Val d’Arly, this resort offers fun for skiers at all levels. Fly into Geneva International Airport (GVA)
- St. Anton – Austria: The home of prestigious ski schools and surrounded by quaint villages, this ski resort is designed mostly for the experts and adventurous intermediates. Fly into Innsbruck (INN)
- St. Moritz – Switzerland: You may have seen this glamorous resort featured in film and TV. 300 days of sunshine and a lively “apres-ski” scene make it a world favorite. Fly into Zurich Airport (ZHR)
- Tignes – France: An economical resort popular with families, Tignes offers plenty of runs for expert skiers as well, with access to glacier skiing. Fly into Turin (Italy) Airport (TRN)
- Kitzbuhl – Austria: This Tyrolean Alpine resort bills itself as home to the greatest World Cup downhill ski race in the world, and exploring the medieval town itself is worth a trip. Fly into Salzburg Airport (SZG)
- Garmisch-Partenkirchen – Germany: These twin-towns offer what’s been called ‘the best skiing in Germany’. Slopes are said to be better geared toward intermediate and expert skiers. Fly into Innsbruck (INN)
Tips for Cheap Flights to Europe Ski Resorts
Follow these tips to find cheap flight deals to Europe destinations:
- Compare fares: This sounds basic but it can save real money; compare prices on a fare comparison site to be sure of getting the best possible deal.
- Sign up for airfare alerts: Signing up for airfare alerts takes just seconds and the deals come to you
- Social media: Follow us on Twitter and check out the Deals Blog. Follow favorite airlines and ski resorts for other deals.
- Be flexible: Sometimes, connecting flights are cheaper than non-stops. And bigger airports are usually cheaper than smaller ones.