Looking for a brilliant idea for an affordable ski holiday in Europe? We have plenty of destination ideas for winter getaways and last minute holidays, from the UK to Eastern Europe – plus, advice on finding cheap flights for a European skiing holiday.
Listen to the Ski Holiday Expert
Awhile back, I spoke with Dan Sherman of Ski.com who was visiting ski resorts in France. He shared about some of his favorite skiing holiday hotspots in the U.S. and Europe in this audio clip:
Ski Europe Cheap – Top Destinations and Airports
Check out these popular European destinations for skiers and snow boarders alike (listed in alphabetical order). Some are well known, while others can be called local favorites. Nearby airports are also listed. Remember that although smaller airports may be closer, bigger hubs usually mean cheaper airfare.
1. Bansko – Bulgaria: Called the number one ski resort in the country, and a favorite of skiers and boarders alike with beautiful scenery. The season lasts through mid-May. Fly into Sofia Airport (SOF)
2. Verbier – Switzerland: Part of the ‘Four Valleys” ski region, with a growing snowboarder presence. See views of the Matterhorn and people-watch the celebrities. Fly into Geneva International Airport (GVA)
3. Davos – Switzerland: One of Europe’s most celebrated resorts, it’s linked to neighboring Klosters and especially popular with snow boarders. Fly into Zurich Airport (ZHR)
4. Elm – Switzerland: Called a “peaceful” ski holiday region, Elm is surrounded with glorious views. Besides great skiing, the resort includes toboggan runs and winter hiking trails. Fly into Zurich Airport (ZHR)
5. Morzine – France: Older established resort blessed with generally good weather. A firm favorites with local skiers, plus a growing snowboarder presence. Plenty of fun bars and restaurants. Fly into Geneva International Airport (GVA)
6. Innsbruck – Austria: This two-time Winter Olympic host resort boasts more than 300 miles of trails with eight major ski resorts. It’s designed for skiers of all abilities. Fly into Innsbruck Airport (INN)
7. Notre Dame de Bellecombe – France: A beautiful village in the heart of the Val d’Arly, this resort offers fun for skiers at all levels. Fly into Geneva International Airport (GVA)
8. St. Anton – Austria: The home of prestigious ski schools and surrounded by quaint villages, this ski resort is designed mostly for the experts and adventurous intermediates. Fly into Innsbruck (INN)
9. St. Moritz – Switzerland: You may have seen this glamorous resort featured in film and TV. 300 days of sunshine and a lively “apres-ski” scene make it a world favorite. Fly into Zurich Airport (ZHR)
10. Tignes – France: An economical resort popular with families, Tignes offers plenty of runs for expert skiers as well, with access to glacier skiing. Fly into Turin (Italy) Airport (TRN)
11. Kitzbuhl – Austria: This Tyrolean Alpine resort bills itself as home to the greatest World Cup downhill ski race in the world, and exploring the medieval town itself is worth a trip. Fly into Salzburg Airport (SZG)
12. Garmisch-Partenkirchen – Germany. These twin-towns offer what’s been called ‘the best skiing in Germany’. Slopes are said to be better geared toward intermediate and expert skiers. Fly into Innsbruck (INN)
More Ski Holiday Deals and Ski Vacation Packages
Follow your favorite airline for ski holiday deals and packages. Here is a recent sampling:
Check with the FareCompare Deals blog for more ski deals.
Tips for Cheap U.S.A. Flights to Europe Ski Resorts
Follow these tips to find cheap flight deals to Europe destinations:
* Best Time to Buy: Sign-up for FareCompare Airfare Alerts to your destination for real-time alerts about the best time to buy
Tips for Cheap Flights from Europe to European Ski Resorts
Some tips to find good deals for travelers in Europe:
* Use the FareCompare “airport” filter when searching for flights to see prices to the nearest airport and larger facilities
* Use the FareCompare DealFinder to stay on top of the lowest flight deals to the top European cities
Learn more about FareCompare and the cheapest days to fly and best times to buy airline tickets for year-round savings.