Your flight has been delayed or canceled and you’re stuck in the airport. Let’s suppose your iPad is out of juice and you didn’t pack a lunch. What to do? Depends on the airport but you might be surprised to learn how many things there are to do in big transportation hubs.
Listen: Rick Seaney and editor Anne McDermott are all agog at these hidden treasures.
Airport Activities – U.S. and Worldwide
Click the city name for the best priced flights so you can see these wonders for yourself.
- Amsterdam: Schipol Airport has a casino but don’t mistake it for Las Vegas since doors close promptly at 7:30 p.m.
- Atlanta: They have permanent and rotating art exhibits and one of the latter now includes a 31-foot long skeleton of a dinosaur called the Yangchuanosaurus. Be glad he’s not in the flesh as this late Jurassic fellow was definitely a predator.
- Auckland: Thirsty? One of the airport spirit shops carries a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue Label King George V edition, on sale for $650.
- Boston: Lots of fun play areas for little ones called Kidport, including one with a child-sized replica of Logan’s control tower.
- Denver: No airport has a better collection of what can only be described as “apocalypse art” in the form of some very grim murals that have delighted local conspiracy buffs for years.
- Dubai: Not one but two Zen Gardens proving perhaps that man does not live by designer boutiques alone.
- Frankfurt: If you’d like to get married, this German airport will host the wedding and reception for about $2,000 plus the locale is exceptionally handy for the honeymoon flight.
- Hamburg: Hungry? Try the eel soup. Or the labskaus which has been lovingly described as a festive pink glob of mashed potatoes mixed with corned beef and beets, topped with fried eggs. Try it with with the traditional trimmings: Herring and pickles.
- London: Want new clothes but too tired to troll the racks yourself? Heathrow offers a personal shopper service.
- Los Angeles: Forgot your picnic lunch? Visit Petrossian Champagne and Caviar Bar where you get a nice lunch complete with fancy fish eggs.
- Seoul: Take your pick of a tree garden or a rock garden. Or stroll a traditional Korean cultural street right inside the airport.
- Singapore: See a movie for free in one of the airport’s two theaters. Or see a cactus garden. Or a live butterfly habitat.
- Vancouver: Not feeling so hot? They have a medical clinic on the premises, and if your suitcase is under the weather, there’s a handy bag repair shop, too.