Florida has something for everyone, particularly those who enjoy being active. For the rest of us, there are plenty of beaches for basking.
We checked out several tourism and Florida-centric sites for the best fun-in-the-sun getaways and invite you to take a look. Tips at the end will help you find cheap flights to Florida.
LISTEN: Travel expert Rick Seaney on the joys of Florida.
Great Fishing, Diving, Golf, Beaches in Florida
To find the cheapest flights, simply click the destination.
Whether you’re a freshwater or saltwater fisherman or fisherwoman, there are so many options: fishing on the Atlantic, from a pier or a beach, or right in the middle of the Everglades. We found some great spots at Visit Florida and Florida Go Fishing (which proclaims the state “fishing capital of the world”). Some of Go Fishing’s most popular spots:
Yes, there is fishing in Orlando; there’s fishing almost everywhere.
If you’re into scuba, Dive Spots has a bunch of locations (see below). They also include info on snorkeling and snorkelers will find more ideas at Frommer’s. The fun includes swimming with manatees, exploring a world of colorful coral or visiting an actual shipwreck.
- Florida Keys
- Boca Raton
- Ft. Lauderdale
- West Palm Beach
Florida has more than 1,000 miles of coastline so finding a beach will not be a problem, but in case you’re not familiar with the state, here are some of its easy-to-get-to beach cities.
More on Florida
Ready to fly to the Sunshine State? See the official tourism site Visit Florida for more on outdoor sports (including theme parks) as well as indoor sports like dining, shopping and spas. Then, head to FareCompare and we’ll help you find the cheapest flights to Florida.
But first, check out these airfare shopping tips.
Find Cheap Flights to Florida
Summer deals: Finding a deal to Florida is easier than finding bargains to other parts of the country during the peak summer season for a couple of reasons:
- Heat: It is hot and humid in July and August.
- Hurricanes: Hurricane season which can affect Florida runs June 1 – Nov. 30. Learn more about Atlantic storms at the U.S. Climate Prediction Center.
When to fly: This week (June 23, 2015), we ran some numbers and based on the average of best available fares to Florida – from all U.S. origins or departure cities as well as Canada (but excluding all cities in Florida) – these are the cheapest departure dates right now:
- July 17
- Aug. 2
- Aug. 17
Caution: These may not be the cheapest departure days from your city which is why FareCompare always recommends you compare fares and dates.
Other ways to save:
- Fly less popular months: The cheaper fall season gets underway the third week in August when prices can drop 15-20% or more.
- Fly less popular days: Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday are usually cheaper than other days but not always. Deals can and do crop up unexpectedly.
- Airfare alerts: Get access to unexpected deals by setting airfare alerts.
- Always compare fares: No single airline always has the cheapest flights. If you don’t compare fares of multiple airlines, you could pay too much.