Whether you’re headed to an island or the mainland, you’re ready to enjoy your leave, alone or with family and friends. See which airlines offer military flight and vacation travel discounts.
Military Discount Flights: What to Do First
If you served in the Army, Navy, Marine Corps, National Guard, Air Force or the Coast Guard, we can help you navigate the many military discount flight options. But first, some quick tips.
- Call first: It’s always best to call the airline and ask about armed forces airfare discounts. There is usually a phone number in FAQ specific to military discounts. Have your military identification information handy.
- Explore options: The Armed Forces Vacation Club offers active U.S. military, veterans and retirees discount vacation accommodations in more than 100 countries with a variety of booking options to fit your budget and leave time.
- Compare fares: Military discounts on airfares are usually discounts based on full fares only. This means you can often get a lower fare by simply searching for cheap airfare tickets and comparing prices.
Military Flight Discounts by Airline
- American Airlines: 1st, 2nd and 3rd checked bags are free for active military and their families. You can call 1-800-433-7300 to see if there is a military or government discount for the city you’ll be traveling to. See www.aa.com/military for more information.
- Delta Air Lines: Military fares must be booked in person or by phone. Active duty military members traveling on orders may check up to four bags on Delta Connection flights for free, and two free checked-bags for personal travel. Dependents and family members are also eligible for discounts. Those in the SkyMiles program can be flown to visit wounded military relatives at military hospitals as part of the Delta Cares program.
- Southwest Airlines: Discount fares for military personnel and dependents. These tickets must be booked by calling 1-800-I-FLY-SWA to book. Southwest also allows military traveling on active duty or permanent change of station orders three or more checked-bags for free, and there is no charge for oversize of overweight luggage.
- United Airlines: Members of the military and dependents are eligible for reduced domestic fares on all days with no advance purchase requirements. Seats are limited, however. Sign up for Veteran’s Advantage and you will receive a 10-digit travel discount code that can be used to book United travel. Another perk: Military personnel on Rest and Recuperation (R&R) leave from any operation with military leave orders have access to United Clubs (have your military ID and a copy of the orders or leave authorization for entrance).
This table shows ten of the largest U.S. military installations and the nearest civilian airports:
|Fort Hood, TX||Austin-Bergstrom Int’l Airport|
|Norfolk Naval Station, VA||Norfolk Int’l Airport|
|Fort Bragg, NC||Raleigh-Durham Int’l Airport|
|Camp Lejeune, NC||Wilmington, NC Int’l Airport|
|Fort Campbell, KY||Nashville Int’l Airport|
|Joint Base Lewis-McChord, WA||Sea-Tac Airport|
|Eglin Air Force Base, FL||Pensacola Gulf Coast Regional Airport|
|Naval Air Station, FL||Jacksonville Int’l Airport|
|Joint Base Charleston, SC||Charleston Int’l Airport|
|Fort Benning, GA||Columbus Airport|
Remember, always compare flights. Try a search now.