Ski Colorado for Less
World class ski resorts? Colorado has plenty including Vail, Aspen, Breckenridge and Snowmass to name just a few. Whether you’re a beginning skier or an avid snowboarder, some of the best snow and runs await you in the Colorado Rockies.
Fly to Denver for Deals
For the cheapest ski deals, fly to Denver International Airport (DEN). Denver has become one of the most competitive airline destinations in the U.S. and where there’s competition, prices drop.
Aspen also has a small regional airport, Aspen/Pitkin County Airport (ASE). It’s major carrier is United Airlines.
Hot Ski Resorts
Many of the big ski resorts are near or relatively close to Denver (check with the resort for transportation to/from the airport as some offer shuttles).
- Breckenridge Ski Resort – This charming ski resort town with century-old buildings was once a busy gold mining center but today it’s better known for glorious skiing. Four huge peaks offer something for skiers of all levels.
- Vail – At more than 5,200 acres, this is the largest single-mountain ski resort in the U.S. and long a favorite with athletes, celebrities and even a president (Gerald Ford). Excellent skiing for all abilities.
- Aspen – This is where Hollywood comes to play. The town boasts haute cuisine and hip couture, but those who hit the slopes at this ski resort get the best of it. Nearly half the acreage is designed for intermediate level but there’s plenty for the adventurous as well.
Tips for to Find Cheap Flights to Denver
Here’s how to find good deals for Colorado ski vacations (and see more tips here).
- When to buy: The cheapest day to shop for airfare is typically Tuesday afternoon.
- When to fly: The cheapest days to fly are usually Tuesday, Wednesday or Saturday.
- How to shop: Check out the FareCompare Deals Blog , follow FareCompare on Twitter, and don’t forget to sign up for Airfare Alerts.
You can also follow tweets from favorite airlines, ski resorts and Colorado hotels.