Hit the Colorado Ski Slopes for Less
Look at any list of world class ski resorts and you’ll find many Colorado names: Vail, Aspen, Breckenridge and Snowmass are just a few of the region’s destinations famous for winter fun. Whether you’re a green circle skier or an avid snowboarder, some of the best ski vacations await you in the Colorado Rockies.
Dan Sherman of Ski.com – an expert on ski resorts – spoke with me on the phone from France to share about some favorite Colorado and other hot ski spots in the U.S. and Europe. He also has some terrific travel tips just for skiers. Listen in:
Fly to Denver International Airport for Cheaper Flights
For the cheapest ski deals, fly to Denver International Airport (DEN). This modern facility opened in 1995 with a fanciful design reminiscent of the surrounding mountains. It’s home base for low cost carrier Frontier and a focus city for another discount airline, Southwest. The airport is also a United Airlines hub and is served by international carriers as well.
The town of Aspen also has its own regional airport: Aspen/Pitkin County Airport (ASE). This small regional facility is served by Frontier, United and Delta.
Hot Ski Resorts Close to Denver International Airport (DEN)
More good news: many of these ski resorts are near or relatively close to Denver–which means you can get cheaper flights for Colorado skiing to help offset the costs of the pricier resorts.
Here are three favorite destinations in order of proximity to Denver International Airport:
- Breckenridge Ski Resort – This charming ski resort town with century-old buildings was once a busy gold mining center. Today it’s best known for its glorious skiing. Four huge peaks offer something for skiers at all levels.
- Vail – At more than 5,200 acres, this is the largest, single mountain ski resort in the U.S. and long a favorite with athletes, celebrities and even a president (Gerald Ford). Excellent skiing for all abilities.
- Aspen – Where Hollywood comes to play. The town boasts haute cuisine and hip couture, but those who hit the slopes at this ski resort get the best of it. Nearly half the acreage is designed for intermediate level but there’s plenty for you hot dogs, too.
Finding ski deals and cheap ski vacations is a snap. Let us show you how.
Tips for Cheap Flights to Denver, Colorado
Here’s how to find good deals for Colorado ski vacations:
- When to Buy: To find the cheapest airfare, shop for airline tickets on Tuesdays
- When to Fly: Travel on Tuesday, Wednesday or Saturday
- How to Shop: Check out the FareCompare Deals Blog for ski vacation specials And don’t forget to follow FareCompare on Twitter, and follow deals from your home airport.
You can also follow tweets from your favorite airlines, ski resorts and Colorado hotels.
Sign-up for Airfare Alerts to DEN
Let technology do the work for you: sign up for FareCompare Airfare Alerts via Twitter, iPhone or email and get good deals on ski vacations to Colorado in real-time. There’s no need to sit by the computer. Let FareCompare find the best prices for you.
Look for Airline Ski Vacation Packages
Airlines often run ski vacation specials throughout ski season. Here’s a sampling:
- Southwest: The airline is currently featuring hotel deals to ski resorts including Vail.
- Frontier: This carrier has ski vacation packages to Aspen and more.
Check with the FareCompare Deals blog for the latest on ski deals.
Learn more about FareCompare and the cheapest days to fly and best times to buy airline tickets for year-round savings.