The attack that killed the American ambassador to Libya as well as yesterday’s attack on the U.S. mission in Egypt has apparently not disrupted airline travel to those regions – so far – but the U.S. State Department is warning Americans against travel to Libya.
U.S. Travel Warning Issued for Libya
The latest update on Travel.State.Gov says, in part:
“The Department of State warns U.S. citizens against all travel to Libya. On September 12, 2012 the Department of State ordered the departure of all non-emergency U.S. government personnel from Libya, following the attack on the U.S. Diplomatic mission in Benghazi. The political violence has increased in both Benghazi and Tripoli. The airports in Benghazi and Tripoli are open and U.S. citizens are encouraged to depart by commercial air.”
The warning continues by noting that those who are currently in Libya “use extreme caution” and share contact information with U.S. officials. The State Department also says U.S. travelers in Egypt remain “alert to their surroundings at all times,” but no travel warning has been issued.
Airline Service So Far Not Disrupted
FareCompare checked with the larger U.S. airlines and international carriers and so far found only no mention of the situation in the Middle East (the only difficulty noted was on the website of Abu Dhabi-based Etihad Airways which stated that “services between Abu Dhabi and Beirut continue to operate as normal”). However, travelers are urged to stay in touch with their carriers via websites and social media for updates.