- Porn at the Airport: The Bangkok Post reports that at least one scene in a Japanese porn film was shot at Suvarnabhumi Airport (there’s a video clip on YouTube – find your own link). Among those upset: Thai flight attendants, since the scene in question featured a woman dressed like one. Among those not too excited: Thailand’s Transport Minister, who said he’d watched the clips and they contained no improper content. He added cryptically, “Such issues come only from a few insane people.”
- Cupcake Caper: The TSA stood by its decision to confiscate a cupcake in a jar from a passenger at McCarran International Airport in Las Vegas last December. They said the icing was considered a gel and could be disguised as an explosive. In other words, gel falls under the 3-1-1 rule. In a blog post, the TSA wrote, “When you think about it, do you think an explosive would be concealed in an ominous item that would draw attention, or something as simple as a cute cupcake jar?”
- Security Oddities: Spearguns and daggers and knives, oh my!
- National Pie Day: You fly to romantic spots for Valentine’s Day, so why not find a cheap flight to celebrate America’s true love – pie? The celebration kicks off Jan. 23 per the American Pie Council but wait until April for Crisco’s Great American Pie Festival in Orlando (don’t miss the ‘never-ending pie buffet’). For the really adventurous, head to England in December for the World Pie Eating Championships where anything can happen (the 2007 contest was nearly ruined when a small dog wolfed down 20 of the “competition pies”).
- Ear-Whacking Airport Incident: A customs official at Bangkok’s airport (again with the Bangkok airport?) took offense at being asked to undergo normal security screening, and is seen on a surveillance camera whacking, slapping or smacking the ears of a hapless security officer. The officer got a measure of revenge though when someone posted video of the incident on YouTube where it has so far garnered 1.3 million views. Meantime, the alleged ear-whacker is now under investigation.
More Travel News
Are Mystery Flights Worth It?
The Wall Street Journal ran an interesting report on "blind booking" flights. This is a marketing ploy of sorts that's…Travel News
Delta Markets On-Time Performance Guarantee to Businesses
The folks at Bloomberg alerted us to a new Delta guarantee which allows the airline to better market itself to…Travel News
Labor Day Weekend Travel Outlook: Finding Cheap Flights
Watch for traffic this Labor Day weekend! Of course, many travelers will be hitting the road including about 2 million…Travel News
Do These World Airports Need Upgrades?
Which major airports around the world need major upgrades? "All of them" is not the correct answer or so says…Travel News
Cheap Flights Round-up: Goodbye Summer, Hello Fall Sales
There's nothing sadder than the end of summer but this will cheer you up: Fall flights are real cheap. Real…Travel News
Airline Route Update: Added Cities, Dropped Cities
Airlines are constantly tinkering with schedules, and here is the latest. Much of what follows comes from the folks at…Travel News