- Porn at the Airport: The Bangkok Post reports that at least one scene in a Japanese porn film was shot at Suvarnabhumi Airport (there’s a video clip on YouTube – find your own link). Among those upset: Thai flight attendants, since the scene in question featured a woman dressed like one. Among those not too excited: Thailand’s Transport Minister, who said he’d watched the clips and they contained no improper content. He added cryptically, “Such issues come only from a few insane people.”
- Cupcake Caper: The TSA stood by its decision to confiscate a cupcake in a jar from a passenger at McCarran International Airport in Las Vegas last December. They said the icing was considered a gel and could be disguised as an explosive. In other words, gel falls under the 3-1-1 rule. In a blog post, the TSA wrote, “When you think about it, do you think an explosive would be concealed in an ominous item that would draw attention, or something as simple as a cute cupcake jar?”
- Security Oddities: Spearguns and daggers and knives, oh my!
- National Pie Day: You fly to romantic spots for Valentine’s Day, so why not find a cheap flight to celebrate America’s true love – pie? The celebration kicks off Jan. 23 per the American Pie Council but wait until April for Crisco’s Great American Pie Festival in Orlando (don’t miss the ‘never-ending pie buffet’). For the really adventurous, head to England in December for the World Pie Eating Championships where anything can happen (the 2007 contest was nearly ruined when a small dog wolfed down 20 of the “competition pies”).
- Ear-Whacking Airport Incident: A customs official at Bangkok’s airport (again with the Bangkok airport?) took offense at being asked to undergo normal security screening, and is seen on a surveillance camera whacking, slapping or smacking the ears of a hapless security officer. The officer got a measure of revenge though when someone posted video of the incident on YouTube where it has so far garnered 1.3 million views. Meantime, the alleged ear-whacker is now under investigation.
More Travel News
Alaska Airlines, Virgin America Merger: It’s Now Official
According to Alaska Airlines, its acquisition of Virgin America is now “official” and the two combined airlines now become the…Travel News
Last-Minute Deals, Last-Minute Checklist for Christmas/Holiday/New Year's
If plan to fly in the next couple of days or weeks but don't have a ticket yet, we can…Travel News
The Crazy World of Air Travel
The return of crazy travel news. Sometimes serious, often strange, occasionally funny. Plus pictures and videos! Watch for frequent updates. Guns…Travel News
United: No Full-Size Carry-on Bags in New Basic Economy Class
United Airlines' new Basic Economy class will not allow passengers to bring full-sized carry-on bags on planes. USA Today reports that Basic…Travel News
The Storm has Cancelled/Delayed My Flight - Now What?
You're scheduled to fly even as a major storm approaches. Or a brief interlude of snow or thunder and lightning…Travel News
Black Friday, Cyber Monday Sales - How to Get the Best Deals
Ah, Black Friday: Crazy shoppers, angry crowds, packed parking lots. The madness we endure to score a giant-screen TV. But what about…Travel News