- Porn at the Airport: The Bangkok Post reports that at least one scene in a Japanese porn film was shot at Suvarnabhumi Airport (there’s a video clip on YouTube – find your own link). Among those upset: Thai flight attendants, since the scene in question featured a woman dressed like one. Among those not too excited: Thailand’s Transport Minister, who said he’d watched the clips and they contained no improper content. He added cryptically, “Such issues come only from a few insane people.”
- Cupcake Caper: The TSA stood by its decision to confiscate a cupcake in a jar from a passenger at McCarran International Airport in Las Vegas last December. They said the icing was considered a gel and could be disguised as an explosive. In other words, gel falls under the 3-1-1 rule. In a blog post, the TSA wrote, “When you think about it, do you think an explosive would be concealed in an ominous item that would draw attention, or something as simple as a cute cupcake jar?”
- Security Oddities: Spearguns and daggers and knives, oh my!
- National Pie Day: You fly to romantic spots for Valentine’s Day, so why not find a cheap flight to celebrate America’s true love – pie? The celebration kicks off Jan. 23 per the American Pie Council but wait until April for Crisco’s Great American Pie Festival in Orlando (don’t miss the ‘never-ending pie buffet’). For the really adventurous, head to England in December for the World Pie Eating Championships where anything can happen (the 2007 contest was nearly ruined when a small dog wolfed down 20 of the “competition pies”).
- Ear-Whacking Airport Incident: A customs official at Bangkok’s airport (again with the Bangkok airport?) took offense at being asked to undergo normal security screening, and is seen on a surveillance camera whacking, slapping or smacking the ears of a hapless security officer. The officer got a measure of revenge though when someone posted video of the incident on YouTube where it has so far garnered 1.3 million views. Meantime, the alleged ear-whacker is now under investigation.
More Travel News
What New Routes are Your Airlines Adding?
A look at routes being added by airlines, by both U.S. and on international carriers. New Routes A round-up of…Travel News
Cheap Flights of the Week: The Hot List
It's hot outside and so are the deals. We have sizzling ones for summer and cool fares for fall, but…Travel News
Changes on Frontier: More Room, Less Room
This is a 'good news, bad news' post - at least for those who like to fly Frontier Airlines (and…Travel News
Is This the Best Economy Class Perk Ever?
If you live in the United Kingdom and want to go to Malta (a Mediterranean island off the coast of…Travel News
Baggage Handlers May Strike at New York Airports Wednesday
UPDATE: July 23 - Strike was averted. Original post: According to media reports out of New York City, more than…Travel News
Pizza on Planes: Sometimes Airlines Do Serve Free Food
FareCompare noticed a tweet late last week complimenting the "awesome" JetBlue. What had the discount carrier done? Because of delays…Travel News