- Porn at the Airport: The Bangkok Post reports that at least one scene in a Japanese porn film was shot at Suvarnabhumi Airport (there’s a video clip on YouTube – find your own link). Among those upset: Thai flight attendants, since the scene in question featured a woman dressed like one. Among those not too excited: Thailand’s Transport Minister, who said he’d watched the clips and they contained no improper content. He added cryptically, “Such issues come only from a few insane people.”
- Cupcake Caper: The TSA stood by its decision to confiscate a cupcake in a jar from a passenger at McCarran International Airport in Las Vegas last December. They said the icing was considered a gel and could be disguised as an explosive. In other words, gel falls under the 3-1-1 rule. In a blog post, the TSA wrote, “When you think about it, do you think an explosive would be concealed in an ominous item that would draw attention, or something as simple as a cute cupcake jar?”
- Security Oddities: Spearguns and daggers and knives, oh my!
- National Pie Day: You fly to romantic spots for Valentine’s Day, so why not find a cheap flight to celebrate America’s true love – pie? The celebration kicks off Jan. 23 per the American Pie Council but wait until April for Crisco’s Great American Pie Festival in Orlando (don’t miss the ‘never-ending pie buffet’). For the really adventurous, head to England in December for the World Pie Eating Championships where anything can happen (the 2007 contest was nearly ruined when a small dog wolfed down 20 of the “competition pies”).
- Ear-Whacking Airport Incident: A customs official at Bangkok’s airport (again with the Bangkok airport?) took offense at being asked to undergo normal security screening, and is seen on a surveillance camera whacking, slapping or smacking the ears of a hapless security officer. The officer got a measure of revenge though when someone posted video of the incident on YouTube where it has so far garnered 1.3 million views. Meantime, the alleged ear-whacker is now under investigation.
More Travel News
Cheap Flights Headquarters: Weekly Airfare Deals Round-up
We've corralled the best sales in this latest deals round-up so saddle-up and start shopping. If you do not speak…Travel News
Spirit Raises Bag Fees for Summer
Oh, Spirit - you do like your fees. Granted, they are optional and granted, they may be a small price…Travel News
Best Bargain Hotels, Best Luxury Hotels in the World
The globetrotters at Condé Nast Traveler have just released a fun new list of best hotels for 2015 which includes…Travel News
Summer Travel Tip #1: Save Money When You Shop
This is the first in a series of tips for all those planning vacations. You might save some money. You…Travel News
Weekly Airline Sale Round-up: Find Cheap Flights Here
Where do you want to go? This deals round-up probably has it. Sydney or Saskatoon? Tokyo or Toronto? Vegas or…Travel News
Spirit Adds 10 New Routes
Discount carrier Spirit, sometimes known as The-Little-Airline-that-Could just keeps on growing and its latest expansion has some fun destinations. Are…Travel News