- Porn at the Airport: The Bangkok Post reports that at least one scene in a Japanese porn film was shot at Suvarnabhumi Airport (there’s a video clip on YouTube – find your own link). Among those upset: Thai flight attendants, since the scene in question featured a woman dressed like one. Among those not too excited: Thailand’s Transport Minister, who said he’d watched the clips and they contained no improper content. He added cryptically, “Such issues come only from a few insane people.”
- Cupcake Caper: The TSA stood by its decision to confiscate a cupcake in a jar from a passenger at McCarran International Airport in Las Vegas last December. They said the icing was considered a gel and could be disguised as an explosive. In other words, gel falls under the 3-1-1 rule. In a blog post, the TSA wrote, “When you think about it, do you think an explosive would be concealed in an ominous item that would draw attention, or something as simple as a cute cupcake jar?”
- Security Oddities: Spearguns and daggers and knives, oh my!
- National Pie Day: You fly to romantic spots for Valentine’s Day, so why not find a cheap flight to celebrate America’s true love – pie? The celebration kicks off Jan. 23 per the American Pie Council but wait until April for Crisco’s Great American Pie Festival in Orlando (don’t miss the ‘never-ending pie buffet’). For the really adventurous, head to England in December for the World Pie Eating Championships where anything can happen (the 2007 contest was nearly ruined when a small dog wolfed down 20 of the “competition pies”).
- Ear-Whacking Airport Incident: A customs official at Bangkok’s airport (again with the Bangkok airport?) took offense at being asked to undergo normal security screening, and is seen on a surveillance camera whacking, slapping or smacking the ears of a hapless security officer. The officer got a measure of revenge though when someone posted video of the incident on YouTube where it has so far garnered 1.3 million views. Meantime, the alleged ear-whacker is now under investigation.
More Travel News
Cheap Flights for Summer, Fall, Winter: Weekly Deals Round-up
You are no doubt totally focused on summer vacation. But spare a thought for winter because we found one deal…Travel News
Best and Worst Airlines According to Social Media
The Daily Mail reports a company called Crimson Hexagon scoured social media (including Twitter and Facebook) to determine which airlines…Travel News
Passengers to Get More Compensation for Lost Bags, Bumping
The U.S. Department of Transportation has increased the amount of money passengers can receive in compensation for getting bumped from…Travel News
Watch Out for the Baggage Police
Attention summer travelers: If it's been a while since you've flown, now is a good time to review airline baggage…Travel News
Southwest, JetBlue, More Airlines Add New Cities, Destinations
The busy summer season is here and the airlines want us to fly so they entice us with more destinations.…Travel News
Cheap Flights for Memorial Day Weekend, Summer & Fall: Weekly Deals Round-up
The Memorial Day holiday weekend is here - and 2.6 million of us will get on planes this weekend. Will…Travel News