- Porn at the Airport: The Bangkok Post reports that at least one scene in a Japanese porn film was shot at Suvarnabhumi Airport (there’s a video clip on YouTube – find your own link). Among those upset: Thai flight attendants, since the scene in question featured a woman dressed like one. Among those not too excited: Thailand’s Transport Minister, who said he’d watched the clips and they contained no improper content. He added cryptically, “Such issues come only from a few insane people.”
- Cupcake Caper: The TSA stood by its decision to confiscate a cupcake in a jar from a passenger at McCarran International Airport in Las Vegas last December. They said the icing was considered a gel and could be disguised as an explosive. In other words, gel falls under the 3-1-1 rule. In a blog post, the TSA wrote, “When you think about it, do you think an explosive would be concealed in an ominous item that would draw attention, or something as simple as a cute cupcake jar?”
- Security Oddities: Spearguns and daggers and knives, oh my!
- National Pie Day: You fly to romantic spots for Valentine’s Day, so why not find a cheap flight to celebrate America’s true love – pie? The celebration kicks off Jan. 23 per the American Pie Council but wait until April for Crisco’s Great American Pie Festival in Orlando (don’t miss the ‘never-ending pie buffet’). For the really adventurous, head to England in December for the World Pie Eating Championships where anything can happen (the 2007 contest was nearly ruined when a small dog wolfed down 20 of the “competition pies”).
- Ear-Whacking Airport Incident: A customs official at Bangkok’s airport (again with the Bangkok airport?) took offense at being asked to undergo normal security screening, and is seen on a surveillance camera whacking, slapping or smacking the ears of a hapless security officer. The officer got a measure of revenge though when someone posted video of the incident on YouTube where it has so far garnered 1.3 million views. Meantime, the alleged ear-whacker is now under investigation.
More Travel News
Average Airfare Prices Lowest in Six Years
The latest Department of Transportation figures have only confirmed what airfare analyst and FareCompare CEO Rick Seaney has been saying…Travel News
Southwest Airlines Big Tech Outage: Recovery Complete
Here's is the latest. Monday, July 25, 2016 UPDATE - Southwest says its schedule is now back to normal. Friday,…Travel News
3 Things Travelers Should Know about Pokémon Go
Unless you’ve been under a rock or stuck in the airport without a charger cord, chances are you’ve heard about…Travel News
Brexit Effect: the Good, the Bad & the Unknown for UK Air Travel
The Brexit Effect Now that the citizens of the United Kingdom have decided to exit the European Union (EU), the…Travel News
American Airlines Announces Airfare Sale for Cuba Flights
UPDATE June 23 - See the changes listed on sale prices below. American Airlines has announced its first airfare sale for U.S.…Travel News
Some Airfares Drop for July 4 Holiday Weekend
Airfare expert and FareCompare CEO Rick Seaney has been looking ahead at ticket prices for Fourth of July holiday weekend…Travel News