- Porn at the Airport: The Bangkok Post reports that at least one scene in a Japanese porn film was shot at Suvarnabhumi Airport (there’s a video clip on YouTube – find your own link). Among those upset: Thai flight attendants, since the scene in question featured a woman dressed like one. Among those not too excited: Thailand’s Transport Minister, who said he’d watched the clips and they contained no improper content. He added cryptically, “Such issues come only from a few insane people.”
- Cupcake Caper: The TSA stood by its decision to confiscate a cupcake in a jar from a passenger at McCarran International Airport in Las Vegas last December. They said the icing was considered a gel and could be disguised as an explosive. In other words, gel falls under the 3-1-1 rule. In a blog post, the TSA wrote, “When you think about it, do you think an explosive would be concealed in an ominous item that would draw attention, or something as simple as a cute cupcake jar?”
- Security Oddities: Spearguns and daggers and knives, oh my!
- National Pie Day: You fly to romantic spots for Valentine’s Day, so why not find a cheap flight to celebrate America’s true love – pie? The celebration kicks off Jan. 23 per the American Pie Council but wait until April for Crisco’s Great American Pie Festival in Orlando (don’t miss the ‘never-ending pie buffet’). For the really adventurous, head to England in December for the World Pie Eating Championships where anything can happen (the 2007 contest was nearly ruined when a small dog wolfed down 20 of the “competition pies”).
- Ear-Whacking Airport Incident: A customs official at Bangkok’s airport (again with the Bangkok airport?) took offense at being asked to undergo normal security screening, and is seen on a surveillance camera whacking, slapping or smacking the ears of a hapless security officer. The officer got a measure of revenge though when someone posted video of the incident on YouTube where it has so far garnered 1.3 million views. Meantime, the alleged ear-whacker is now under investigation.
More Travel News
Up & Down Airfare Activity: Hike Attempts, Airfare Drops
In the past ten days, airfare analyst and FareCompare CEO Rick Seaney has spotted some major up and down airfare activity…Travel News
Frontier and Southwest Drop Ticket Prices
FareCompare CEO and airfare analyst Rick Seaney has pinpointed two recent airfare price drops by Frontier and Southwest Airlines. “This…Travel News
The Southwest Effect and International Travel
If you know anything about Southwest Airlines, you’ve probably heard about the Southwest Effect, the drop in ticket prices when…Travel News
Beware of Long Security Lines - Now, and This Summer
U.S. airlines have a message for all passengers: Get to the airport early! And that message is for anyone traveling…Travel News
Delta Drops a Fee – Phone Call Reservations Now Free
This is news. An airline actually dropping a fee. Nice one, Delta but you’re not the only airline that doesn’t…Travel News
Southwest Hikes Fee for Early Boarding, Better Seats
Airlines don’t normally publicize fee hikes so we failed to notice Southwest’s EarlyBird fee jumped from $12.50 to $15 last month;…Travel News