If you’d like to celebrate Christmas on skis, at the beach or curled up with a nice cup of cocoa surrounded by spectacular scenery, have we got some destination ideas for you. Plus cheap flights to get you there.
We also have something for you Disney lovers, too. Simply choose a category, then click the destination to find a cheap flight for a very special Christmas vacation.
Great Escapes to the Snow
Vermont: Nothing looks and feels more like Christmas than Vermont in the winter, plus there’s plenty of skiing at the many postcard-like mountain resorts including Stratton and Stowe. If you prefer less strenuous activity, a lot of farms and inns offer sleigh rides.
- Fly into Burlington which is served by larger airlines plus discounter JetBlue.
Denver: You know the skiing in the Colorado Rockies is terrific, but did you also know the city puts on a heck of a Christmas celebration? Holiday lights, one-of-a-kind markets and glittering parades will put you in a festive mood – and so will the Denver nightlife.
- Fly into Denver on a host of large U.S. and international carriers, plus discounters such as Frontier, JetBlue, Southwest and Spirit.
Vancouver, Canada: Take the kids on the Stanley Park Christmas train or see the celebration on Grouse Mountain and don’t forget the world-class skiing at nearby Whistler. Maybe best of all is the city’s innovative dining scene and hip shopping districts.
- Fly into Vancouver via a host of international carriers and the larger U.S. airlines.
Great Escapes to the Beach
Honolulu: Enjoy the boat parade, visit a crafts market, take in the downtown light displays, or – oh, forget it. You’re just going to lie on the beach, aren’t you? Check out deals from Hawaiian Airlines if you’re in the mood for island-hopping.
- Fly into Honolulu on larger U.S. airlines and look for discounted airfare from West Coast cities.
San Juan, Puerto Rico: So close, yet so exotic with everything from a rain forest to white sandy beaches and centuries-old colonial buildings. Check out the crafts markets for wood folk carvings or bask in the sun.
- Fly into San Juan on several international and U.S. airlines including low-cost carriers AirTran, JetBlue and Spirit.
Great Escapes for a Child-Friendly Christmas
Los Angeles: Disneyland is just down the road – what more needs to be said?
- Fly into Los Angeles, Long Beach or Orange County which is the closest airport but compare prices for the best deals. Tip: Los Angeles’ LAX is the largest airport, offering flights on numerous global carriers and all the discount airlines.
Orlando: Disney World is here – what more needs to be said?
- Fly into Orlando, served by an array of discount carriers including AirTran, Frontier, JetBlue, Southwest, Spirit, Virgin America and others large and small.
Great Escapes for a Classic Christmas
Aspen: The charmingly old-fashioned downtown area lights up for Christmas in Colorado and features a dazzling smorgasbord of events. Oh, yes – you can ski here, too.
- Fly into Aspen on American or United from Los Angeles or Denver, two big hubs served by airlines from around the world.
Munich, Germany: The city’s traditional Christmas Market is arguably the finest in Europe, but the fairy tale lights and decorations are equally compelling. Tip: Nearby Salzburg, Austria, is another town that does up Christmas right and it’s less than two hours away by car or train.
- Fly into Munich on Delta, United, US Airways and other carriers from around the world.
New York: The tree and the skaters at Rockefeller Center; the windows of Bloomingdale’s; Radio City Music Hall; and everywhere, the lights. See it at least once. You’ll be back.
- Fly into New York to one of three airports, JFK, LaGuardia or Newark. Pick an airline, large or small – chances are, it’ll fly to New York.