Museum Day is Saturday, Sept. 28 when hundreds of incredible facilities across the country open their doors to the public for free. You can thank the Smithsonian in Washington, D.C., (always free) for spearheading this annual affair featuring everything from surf and car museums to planetariums and puppetry exhibits.
Now let’s get you to an amazing museum for less.
Where to Fly, What to See
Too many free museums, too little space – but you can see the complete list here (and every state is represented). Here are some that caught our eye in and around the following cities. Click the city name to find the cheapest flight to your favorite.
Hurry – Museum Day will be here before you know it.
- Atlanta – Museum of Design Atlanta, Museum of Contemporary Art, Center for Puppetry Arts and more
- Boston – Historic New England, Museum of African American History, Museum of Fine Arts, Otis House and more
- Chicago – Adler Planetarium, Gallery 400, Museum of Contemporary Art, Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum and more
- Los Angeles – Petersen Automotive Museum, Autry Western Heritage, Fashion Institute of Design, California Surf Museum and more
- New York – Museum of American Illustration, New York City Fire Museum, Morgan Library, Cathedral of St. John the Divine and more
- San Francisco – Cartoon Art Museum, Chinese Historical Society, Museum of Vision, California Historical Society and more
- Washington, D.C. – National Museum of Crime & Punishment, National Portrait Gallery, all the Smithsonian museums and more