Looking for something a little unusual this summer? The U.S. is loaded with amazing festivals that will keep you entertained for days. Here are a few of our favorites – plus tips on finding the cheapest flights to get you there.
Romance Month in Miami
We’re not sure exactly why June has been dubbed “Romance month” in Miami – but, why not? Among the celebrations is a kissing contest. The details via press release:
“Five couples will engage in a kiss while performing challenging activities designed to split the couples from the kiss. The last couple standing without breaking the kiss will win a romantic seven-night cruise.” Sounds like a reality show in the making.
- How to get there: Fly to Miami
- Alternate airport: Ft. Lauderdale
- Tip: Always compare prices to see which airport is cheapest.
Food and Wine Classic in Park City, Utah
This festival runs July 10-13 and features regional delicacies plus Italian, Thai and sushi plus plenty of wine to wash it all down with. Other spirits, too. Among the more popular events is the Whiskey Walk – a hike that winds up at a distillery. Is that perfect or what?
- How to get there: Fly to Salt Lake City
- Alternate airport: Las Vegas – especially for those who wish to combine their pleasures
- Tip: Flying into Vegas only works if you don’t mind an eight-hour drive to Park City but you will be rewarded with spectacular scenery along the way.
Gilroy Garlic Festival in Northern California
This one-of-a-kind ode to the clove runs from July 26-28 and it features a cornucopia of garliciousness. If you like garlic, heaven is here in the form of white rosemary garlic pizza, garlic onion rings – and the piece de resistance – garlic ice cream. Come for the cloves, stay to meet the Garlic Festival Queen.