Remember the days of arriving at the airport five minutes before a flight? You had to sprint to the gate, maybe, but you didn’t miss your plane and you got to sleep in.
LISTEN: Travel expert Rick Seaney signed up; he explains why you should, too.
Is PreCheck Worth It? Yes.
We can’t promise the TSA’s PreCheck program provides an identical experience, but it can eliminate much of today’s airport security drama by making the whole thing faster and easier. The question is, is that worth $17 a year? FareCompare thinks so.
5 Reasons to Sign-up for PreCheck
1. It’s cheap: PreCheck costs just $85 for a five-year membership (which as you math whizzes know is 17 bucks per year). Or go for Global Entry which includes PreCheck but also smoothes your re-entry to the U.S. from overseas trips. Learn more here.
2. It’s fast: PreCheck offers designated “members only” lanes. Even better, you don’t have to take your shoes off. Or your jacket. Or remove your laptop from its case or take the toiletries out of your carry-on.
3. It’s a pre-9/11 experience: Remember when all you had to do at security was walk through a simple metal detector? That’s what you get with PreCheck.
4. It’s fashion-friendly: Alright, this one’s a bit of a stretch, but if you’re the type of person who wears complicated footwear (say, knee-high gladiator sandals) you save the headache that comes with the typical security experience - sitting on a bench for 15 minutes laboriously strapping yourself back together.
5. It’s a mood-enhancer: Most of us feel a pang of dread at the thought of the slog at security but that’s no way to start off a trip. Maybe the ease and speed of PreCheck won’t have you humming Pharrell William’s Happy – but maybe it will.